The Spanish Salad
The truth must be told: the Spaniards are not the most creative salad makers or the biggest salad eaters! This is their one and only salad; you will find it everywhere and anywhere, tasty, not amazingly interesting, but can play the role of a filling lunch or dinner very successfully!
1/2 head lettuce
1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
1 small onion
1 tin of tuna in oil or a slice of turkey breast cut into small pieces
1 large tomato
1 thick slice cheese (any kind)
12 green or black olives (optional)
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of fresh black pepper
- Peel and grate the carrot
- Wash the lettuce, dry and cut into easily edible pieces
- Cut cheese into small cubes
- Cut the onion into thin julienne
- Quarter the tomato
1. Put a small pot of water with the egg in it on the fire and boil for 14 minutes. When ready quarter the egg.
2. Take a large salad platter, place the lettuce on the bottom and top it beginning with the grated carrot in the middle, the tuna on top of the carrots in a mound, the onions all over and then the four pieces of egg in the center of the mound.
3. Arrange the tomatoes around the sides and spread the olives around.
* Add optional canned white asparagus.
4. Mix the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Pour dressing over salad and serve.