Sausage Stuffed Onions
Don't be intimidated by the title. This dish is not as heavy as it sounds, providing of course that you will choose a sausage with high meat content and not many spices.
6 large onions
200 gr pork sausage, at least 85% meat content
2 tbsp raisins
3 tbsp pine nuts or walnuts
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp celery or parsley leaves only
3 tbsp long grain rice
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
1. Pre-cook the onions in their skins in boiling water until they can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
2. In the meantime, process the sausage, raisins, parsley/celery leaves and pine nuts/walnuts in a blender until they look like sausage meat.
3. When the onions are ready, remove the outer skin, and using a small sharp knife, or a melon baller, remove the centre of the onion, leaving 2-3 leaves and the bottom intact.
4. Combine the rice to the mix and stuff each onion. Place the onions close to each other and pour a little bit of water and olive oil over them.
5. Cover the onions with foil and bake blind for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until golden.