Salmorejo (Cream of Gazpacho)
A typical dish of Andalucía , the most famous is from Córdoba and is made with the traditional bread called “mollete”, a white, soft and unsalted bread, which helps to thicken the preparation. Salmorejo Cordobés was one of my favorite dishes on my trip in Andalucía!
400 g stale bread
600 g ripe tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
120 ml olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
100 g ham, cut in thin strips
2 hard-boiled eggs
- Cut the bread into chunks. Remove crust. Soak in a bowl with water.
- Chop the tomatoes and the garlic.
- Use your hands to squeeze as much water as possible out of the bread.
- Process the tomatoes and garlic until pureed. Add the bread to the processor ( If necessary process in two batches)
- Process until smooth, then add the oil, salt, vinegar to make a thick cream.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Serve in individual ramekins and garnish the top with strips of ham and chopped egg.