Herring with Sweet and Sour Apples
Almost like a herring tartar; a dish with beautiful presentation and a fresh strong taste! Why do we use green sour apples in this recipe? Because the tart taste of the green apples goes especially well with the herring. The firm flesh of green apples also adds freshness to the salad.
8 smoked herring filets
3 green apples
3 celery stalks
10 cl fresh cream
50 cl milk
2 tbsp olive oil
- Place the herring filets in a pan and cover with the milk. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Cut the celery stalks into small, thin cubes.
- Wash the apples and remove the seeds and without peeling them, cut into small cubes.
1. Drain the herring filets, wipe them and pour the olive oil on them. With a sharp knife cut the filets into even sized cubes.
2. Sprinkle the fish immediately with lemon juice from another half lemon, salt, cayenne pepper and the nutmeg.
3. Serve in glasses or in small bowls. Alternate layers of apple and herring. Pour the cream on top.