People have a love/hate relationship with coriander, to those who love it is magical to those who hate it is catastrophic; the result being that it is sure to create a dish with a lasting impression!
- 1 small chicken, cut into pieces or 4 - 6 boneless breasts and/or thighs of chicken
- 1 tbs butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large cloves of garlic,minced
- 1 tsp turmeric or saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprig of fresh coriander leaves, or 2 tsp. ground coriander,finely chopped
- 1/4 lb. purple olives, pitted (Greek or Italian)
- 1 lemon, sliced
Brown the chicken in butter and oil in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat.
Add the garlic cloves, spices, and coriander .
Cook for about 10 minutes, turning the chicken pieces occasionally to distribute the sauce evenly.
Stir in enough water to cover, about 1 cup, and simmer over low heat, adding more water if necessary until the chicken is tender.
Add olives and lemon and cook over a somewhat lower heat for 8-10 more minutes, or until sauce is reduced.
Serve over rice or couscous.