Dolmas (Stuffed Grape Leaves with Minced Meat)
This is a hearty minced meat version of the traditional and ever-popular Greek stuffed grape leaves. Serve it with tart plain yogurt.
1 lb ground lamb, (or 1/2 beef, 1/2 lamb)
1 cup long grain rice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. garlic,minced
1/4 tsp. allspice
7 dozen fresh grape leaves,
salt & pepper to taste
juice of two lemons
1. Mix lamb, rice, spices, salt and pepper.
2. Blanch vine leaves for just one minute, or till they change color. Drain and cool.
3. Place a layer of smaller leaves in the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pot, with a cover.
4. Lay each large grape leaf on a flat surface, vein-side up. Trim away stem (cut into bottom of leaf).
5. Put about a tablespoon of mixture into grapeleaf.
6. Form the mixture into a cylindrical shape, 1/2 x (2 or 3) inches - Depends upon grape leaf.
7. Fold up the bottom, (stem side) up. Fold in both sides. Roll top over for tight fit.
8. Place in pot. Place tightly next to each other so they won't unwrap, about 3 or 4 layers deep.
9. Place plate over layers. Cover with water (or stock).
10. Bring to boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook, covered for one hour.
11. After the first 30 minutes of cooking, add the lemon juice.