Cuttlefish with Fennel and Spinach
Wild fennel grows all over the island of Crete, and has an aromatic licorice taste. Cretan cooks use fennel to flavor all kinds of dishes, from stews to seafood and this Cretan recipe is the perfect example.
1 kg cuttlefish cleaned
1 cup fennel sliced
2 cups chopped spinach
2 spring onions chopped
1 small onion, finely sliced
1 medium size tomato, cubed
the juice from 1 large lemon
1 cup olive oil
1. Pick a large heavy-bottom pot and heat the olive oil.
2. Stir-fry the onion for 1-2 minutes then add the cuttlefish to brown on both sides.
3. Add 3 cups of water, cover pot with lid and simmer until tender.
4, Add the spinach, fennel, spring onions, tomato, salt, pepper and if required, a little water.
5. Cover pot with lid and continue cooking at low temperature until the greens are soft.
6. Pour the lemon juice and stir well. Let the meal rest for 10-15 minutes before you serve.