Syrian roasted Chicken with vegetables- Dajaaj al Riz
Unlike other Mediterranean roast chicken recipes this Syrian recipe is accompanied by potatoes, celery, onion and carrots. No doubt the result will be juicier and more aromatic!
2 large carrots
2 stalks celery
2 medium onions
2 medium potatoes
1 (4-to 7 lbs) whole free-range chicken
2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Coarsley chop the celery, onions, potatoes and carrots into pieces of around the same size.
Preheat the oven to 220° C
1. Combine the carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes in a shallow roasting pan.
2.Wash the chicken inside and out. Pat dry. If desired, stuff. Tie the chicken legs together to hold their shape. Tuck the wings under the body. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub the oil over the chicken.
3. Place the chicken, breast-side up, on the vegetables in the roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to 170°C. Invert the chicken so that its back is up and roast, basting occasionally with the pan drippings, for 15 minutes. Turn to one side and roast, basting occasionally, for 15 minutes. Turn to the other side and roast, basting occasionally, another 15 minutes.
5. Return the chicken breast side up and roast until browned and the thigh juices run clear when poked deeply with a fork or the thigh meat registers 80°C on a meat thermometer (15 to 40 minutes per pound unstuffed; 30 minutes to 1 hour per pound stuffed.
*Total cooking time runs from 50 minutes to 1½ hours for unstuffed; 1¾ to 2 hours for stuffed).
6. Cover loosely with foil and let stand about 15 minutes before carving. (The internal temperature will continue to rise.)