Spanish Saffron Chicken with Rice (Arroz con Pollo)
The saffron in this classic Spanish dish gives it incredible color, aroma and flavor. It's so easy to love this recipe!
6 (4 oz each) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 medium size onion
1 garlic clove
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms
1 c water
2 tsp paprika
1 c chicken bouillon
1/2 t saffron threads (or turmeric)
1 c peas
2 tbs sliced ripe olives (pitted)
1/4 c milk
1 tbs cornstarch
2 tbs water
3 c hot cooked long-grain rice
- Slice onion
- Grate garlic
- Slice mushrooms
- Cook rice according to directions
1. Sprinkle chicken with pepper.
2. Place in large Dutch oven that has been coated with olive oil. Cook over medium heat until browned.
3. Wipe pan drippings from Dutch oven with a paper towel.
4. Coat Dutch oven again with oil; place over medium-high heat until hot.
5. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms; saute until tender.
6. Add chicken, 1 c water, and paprika, bouillon , and saffron threads (moistened in hot water). Bring to a boil.
7. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and set aside.
8. Add peas, olives, and milk to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Combine cornstarch and 2 tbs water; add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil.
10. Reduce heat; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
11. Arrange chicken over rice; top with vegetable mixture.