Sour Cherry Spoon Sweet (Vissino)
This Greek sour cherry dessert vissino can be served as a spoon sweet, or use it as a topping on cheesecakes and ice cream. It is also excellent with thick strained yoghurt.
2 ½ k sour cherries
10 cups sugar
5 cups water
1/4 cup fresh strained lemon juice
- Wash cherries very well and using a cherry pitter or a sewing needle, push out the pits.
1. In a large basin or bowl, arrange the cherries and sugar in alternate layers. Sprinkle with the water, cover, and refrigerate for about 12 hours.
2. The next day, pour the contents of the bowl into a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Add the lemon juice and simmer, skimming the foam off the top of the pot frequently, until the mixture is thick and at the large-thread stage on a candy thermometer (about 230 ° F).This will take 30 to 35 minutes over medium heat.
4. Remove pot from heat, cool, and store in sterilized, airtight jars.