Dream Cream in Puff Pastry (Croatian Kremsnite)
As we read this recipe,we can't help but notice that this Croatian dessert, Kremsnite, is non other than a version of the french mille-feuille, and that the cream is exactly the same as what the french name Diplomat Cream! Who came up with what first doesn't matter, after all whether Croatian or French it seems we are simply human beings in touch with the same creative process!
2 cups evaporated 2% milk
2 cups milk
8 egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp vanilla sugar (or substitute equal parts vanilla and sugar)
1 cup flour
2 Tbs clear gelatin
½ cup cold water
½ cup boiled water
2 cups whipping cream
1 package (16 ounces) puff pastry
powdered sugar for garnish
strawberries for garnish (optional)
1. Bring the evaporated milk and regular milk to a very gentle boil in a double boiler.
2. While waiting for the milk to boil, in a separate bowl mix together the yolks, granulated sugar and vanilla sugar at medium speed with a mixer. Add flour to the yolk mixture until blended.
3. Remove 2 cups of milk from the double boiler. Add this milk to the flour mixture while continuously beating at low speed. When blended, return this mixture to the milk still in the double boiler and continue to cook until thick while stirring very frequently.
4. Mix together gelatine with the cold water, let stand for 1 minute and then add boiling water, mixing well with a fork or small whisk.
5. Add the gelatine to your custard mixture in the double boiler and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, continually stirring as it thickens.
6. Cool custard in ice water when removed from heat.
7. In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until peaks form.
8. Fold the whipped cream into the cooled custard (make sure the custard has cooled to room temperature before adding the whipped cream). Refrigerate this mixture for about 20 minutes so that it stiffens a bit and is easier to spread.
9. Trim the edges of the puff pastry sheets to fit a deep tray or baking dish. Place one layer of puff pastry on bottom. Spread evenly with custard and then place second layer of puff pastry on top, pressing down slightly. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar on top prior to serving and cut into oblong pieces. Garnish with strawberry fans or chocolate dipped strawberries if so desired.