Chicken Pie with Apricots
This Greek chicken and apricot pie makes a wonderful and quite satisfying winter meal.
75 g groats
75 g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
450 g minced chicken
50 g (1/4 cup) dried apricots, finely chopped
25 g (1/4 cup) blanched almonds, ground
5 ml (1 tsp) cinammon, powdered
2,5 ml (1/2 tsp) all-spice, ground
50 ml (1/4 cup) strained yogurt
15 ml (1 Tbs) leeks, finely chopped
30 ml (2 Tbs) fresh parsley, finely chopped
6 large pastry sheets
salt and pepper
finely chopped leek, for garnishing
Preheat oven at 200º C.
- Finely chop onion, leek, parsley and apricots
- Grind almonds
1. Put the groats in a bowl along with ½ cup boiled water. Allow five to ten minutes to absorb water.
2. Sauté the onion and minced chicken in some butter until golden in color.
3. Add the apricots, almonds and groats to the skillet and allow cooking for two more minutes.
4. Remove skillet from fire and add cinnamon, all-spice, yogurt, leeks and parsley. Add salt and pepper.
5. Melt the remaining butter.
6. Cut the pastry sheets in disks with a diameter of 25 cm and then cover them with a clean, moist towel to prevent them from drying out.
7. Lay three sheets in a pan for cakes, 23 cm in diameter with a movable base, spreading butter on each one separately.
8. Using a spoon, add the chicken mixture and cover with three more pastry sheets, each one smeared with melted butter just like the previous ones.
9. Place the remaining pastry sheets, crumbled, on top of the pie.
10. Spread some melted butter and bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry sheets turn gold and become crunchy.
11. Serve the pie hot or cold, sliced in pieces and garnished with finely chopped leeks.