Chicken Briased in Wine (Coq au vin)
This classic French stewed chicken recipe is a simple and delicious dish that has been re-created by families all over the world. Although this resipe is made with white wine traditionally coq au vin was made with red wine and particularly Burgandy.
1 chicken cut into portions
1 medium onion
½ cup of olive oil
3 tbs of tomato paste
½ kg of baby (stewing) onions
1 stick of cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 cloves of garlic
1 glass of white wine
- Finely chop onion
- Clean and cut potatoes in quarters
1. Sauté the pieces of poultry in olive oil; add the finely chopped onion and the garlic cloves.
2. Pour in the wine, add the tomato paste, clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, and add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Allow to cook for 1/2 an hour then add the baby onions.
4. Cook for a further 1/2 hour and then add the potatoes.
5. Cook for another 30 minutes.