Bread with Saffron
This saffron scented tasty golden bread is so light and very similar to the Russian brioche.
1/2 kg white flour
40 gr yeast damp
1 mug milk
40 fibers saffron
1 1/2 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
4 eggs (only the yolk)
2 whole eggs
80 g butter
2 egg whites lightly battered for the brushing
1 tbsp poppy seeds for sprinkling
Preheat oven at 180 °C.
1.Grate the saffron and put it in the milk and leave it for 3 – 4 hours.
2. Place in a mixing bowl or a bowl for kneading all the ingredients except for the flour. Begin kneading adding slowly the warmed butter. If necessary add a bit of flour. The dough must be soft and smooth.
3. Place the contents in an already buttered bowl and leave it in a warm place to rise.
4. When it rises (after 40 – 50 minutes) knead again then brush it with butter and again place it in a warm place to let it rise one more time.
5. Form the dough inside the pans and cover it again so it could double its size.
6. Brush the surface with the egg whites, sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake for about 50 minutes.