Beef in Red Wine (Bourguignon)
This well known traditional French stew with beef braised in red wine is quite time consuming but definitely worth it. This sumptuous and aromatic stew makes for a perfect cold winter meal!
4 lb lean beef, cubed
1 1/2 cups red wine
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp black pepper
8 slices bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion diced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup flour
1. Marinate beef in wine, oil, thyme and pepper 1 hour at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
2. In large pan, cook bacon until soft.
3. Add garlic and onion sautéing until soft.
4. Add mushrooms and cook until slightly wilted.
5. Drain beef reserving liquid and place in a slow cooker.
6. Sprinkle flour over the beef stirring until well coated.
7. Add mushroom mixture on top.
8. Pour reserved marinade over all. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.