Beef and Eggplant Stew
This is a delicious Greek stew which is great served with pasta such as penne or rigatoni. The sauce is so flavorful. The eggplant will be very soft, and some pieces may even have melted into the sauce.
1 kg meat (beef, lamb or goat)
10 medium sized tsakonikes eggplants
2 medium sized onions chopped
3 ripe fresh tomatoes finely chopped
1 tbs tomato-paste
1-2 garlic cloves pureed
parsley to taste
salt & pepper to taste
1. Cut the meat into small cubes.
2. Put 1/2 cup oil in a large stew pot, add the onion and garlic and lightly brown it with the meat.
3. Once lightly browned, add a little white wine.
4. Add the tomato and the tomato-paste which is diluted in a little water.
5. Add salt and pepper to get the desired taste. Allow the meat to cook well.
6. Remove the eggplants from the water and rinse them in clean water, squeezing out excess water once rinsed.
7. Saute the eggplants in a pan so that they become a little soft. Place the eggplants on a paper-towel to remove excess oil.
8. Add eggplants to the pot with the meat and cook until the meat is done and the sauce rich.