Chickpeas with Cured Pork (Syglino)
Chickpeas are very popular in Mediterranean cooking. The combination of chickpeas and cured pork in this recipe is quite flavorful.
1 kg chickpeas
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup olive oil
200 gr syglino cut in bites (sold in ready packaged form)
juice from a single lemon
small amount of baking soda
1. Let chickpeas soak overnight in salted lukewarm water.
2. Drain them the next day, rub them with baking soda and allow them to sit for one hour.
3. Rinse and boil chickpeas.
4. Drain them when almost done, and brown onion in a skillet.
5. Add the meat to the skillet with the chickpeas, a little water, and the lemon juice, and bring to a boil.