This French Basque Gateau combines flavors and textures creating a cake with a gooey creamy layer that is sweet and sour and absolutely delicious.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp pure almond extract
1/3 cup sour cherry preserves
1/4 cup sliced almonds, optional
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
2. Gradually beat in the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Beat in the vanilla extract.
5. Sift the cake flour, salt, and baking powder together and use a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients into this butter mixture until a soft dough form and no white streaks of flour remain.
6. Spread half the batter evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan.
7. Stir the almond extract, if using, into the cherry preserves.
8. Spoon the cherry preserves over the batter, spreading it within 2 inches of the border.
9. Drop the remaining batter by large spoonfuls over the preserves.
10. Spread the batter carefully over the jam to the edge of the pan.
11. Sprinkle with sliced almonds, if using.
12. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
13. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Unmold the cake and dust with confectioners sugar.