Baklavas, Honey and Walnut Pastry
This classic pastry dessert is one of the most famous of all Greek desserts. The little diamonds of crisp and crunchy phyllo pastry, filled with the cinnamon-spiced walnut filling and drenched in honey make is absolutely decadent and delicious.
1 packet (1/2 kilo) store bought phyllo pastry
3 ½ cups walnuts, coarsely crushed
1 ½ cup (375 ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs honey
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs powder cinnamon
20 cloves (optional)
Preheat oven to 180° C.
1. Mix walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon, in a bowl.
2. Brush the bottom of a oblong baking dish with oil.
3. Cover the baking dish with one phylo pastry and fold in excess length of each sheet at alternative ends.
4. Repeat with 3 sheets, brushing with oil as each one is added.
5. Spread walnut filling evenly over the pastry.
6. Trim the edges of the excess pastry sheets all around the edges of the baking dish with a sharp knife.
7. Brush each of the remaining phylo sheets with oil and cover the top neatly.
8. Cut the top layers of th baklava into small diamond portions by cutting diagonal parallel lines, about 4 cm apart and then across.
9. Bake at 180° C for 50 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and while still hot, sprinkle with honey.