Athenian Pork Spare Ribs with Mashed Chickpeas
Marinated spare ribs are so delicious especially when served with mashed chickpeas a nutritious and full of protein side dish and tasty alternative to the ubiquitous mashed potatoes.
4 pork spareribs for each person
a little olive oil
white and black sesame for serving
For the marinade
1 bottle red wine
3 Tbs of honey
3 Tbs of brine (fish sauce sold in Eastern Markets)
salt (careful because the brine contains plenty of salt)
1 tsp grated coriander
1 tsp ground mustard
For the mashed chickpeas
150 gr boiled chickpeas
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
a pinch of cumin ground
salt & pepper
a bit of lemon
a bit of oil
Preheat oven at 180° C.
1. Prepare the marinade and place the spareribs for at least 4 hours.
2. Bake the ribs in a medium to high temperature oven, not including the 3 – 4 minutes on the grill.
3. Place the marinade to boil until reduced.
4. While the ribs are baking, sauté the cumin, garlic and onion with a little oil.
5. Mash the chickpeas with the garlic and onion mixture.
6. Shape the mashed chickpeas like a volcano and place the ribs on the side, pour the reduced marinade and sprinkle the sesames.