A traditional apple filling in a sweet and crumbly homemade crust make this a favorite dessert of both the young and old. It is often served with whipped cream or ice cream on top.
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup all purpose flour
125 gr butter, cut into small pieces
2 tbs sugar
3 egg yolks
23 tbs cold water
8 apples, peeled and sliced
the grated zest and the juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tbs clove, grinded
1 tbs cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup dark raisins
1 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
1. Peel, core and slice the apples and toss immediately in a large bowl with the lemon juice.
2. Drain the apples and heat them in a small pan adding a little sugar for about 10 minutes until apples have softened.
3. Drain and add the cinnamon, the clove, the lemon zest, the walnuts and the raisins.
4. Set aside filling to cool.
1. Combine the two flours with the sugar and the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add the egg yolks one by one and knead into dough until smooth and doesn’t stick to your hands, and if necessary add 2 – 3 tablespoons of water..
3. Wrap the dough with saran wrap and leave it in the fridge for half an hour.
4. Divide the dough in two pieces with one larger than the other.
5. With a rolling pin roll out each of the two pieces of dough into two thick sheets about 2 mm thick.
6. Place the larger piece of the dough in a 24 cm baking pan, and make sure it covers the sides of the pan as well.
7. Spread the filling into the baking pan and cover with the smaller piece of the dough.
8. Bake at 180°C for approximately 45 minutes and leave it to cool before taking it out of the pan.