Yuftka/Phyllo Cigarettes with Cheese (Peynirli sigara böreği)
These Turkish cheese pastry fingers, are a great thing to prepare and have in your freezer to use on many occasions; as a nice snack for the family or to offer guests as an appetizer. They can be filled with different cheeses according to your personal taste and spiced with various spices and herbs.
1 lb white Turkish cheese
½ bunch fresh parsley, washed, dried
½ bunch fresh dill, washed, dried
2 (1-lb) packages yufka (a type of Turkish phyllo)
vegetable oil for frying
- Finely chop the herbs
- Soak the white cheese in cold water to remove the excess salt
- Crumble the cheese and separate the eggs
1. Drain the cheese, then mash with the egg yolks. Stir in the chopped parsley and dill mixing well.
2. Cut the wedge-shaped yufka sheets in half, lengthwise.
3. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg whites.
4. Rub a little egg white around the edges of the yufka except for the last 2-inches of the pointed end. Place a little filling at the base of each triangle and fold over the side edges of the bottom corners (triangle shaped pieces) to cover some of the filling. Fold up the bottom edge to cover the filling and carefully roll up the yufka sheet like a cigarette (from the large end to the small point).
5. Wet the pointed end with a little water and press down to seal the boerek closed. Place the boereks on a cookie sheet and freeze until ready to cook. Remove from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
6. In a large skillet place enough oil to measure 2 inches deep. Heat the oil and before frying the boereks, hold one between your fingers (vertically) and place it in ½ inch of the oil. If the oil is hot enough to cook with, bubbles will immediately form around the bottom of the boerek.
7. Add as many boereks as the pan will hold in a single layer and fry the boereks turning once or twice, until golden brown all over. Place in a fine sieve to drain, then drain well on paper towels. Repeat until all the boereks are cooked and drained.