Warm Black-Eyed Pea Salad
A warm salad is best suited for a winter dinner and this one is absolutely delicious! Oven-cooked black beans, with vegetables garnished with fresh tomato and onion is a nutritious and filling option!
1/2 pound (250 gr.) black-eyed peas
2 medium carrots chopped
1 cup Greek celery with leaves chopped
2 medium tomatoes diced
2 garlic cloves pressed
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion cut in julienne
1/2 cup extra-virgin Greek olive oil
fresh strained juice of 1 large lemon
Preheat oven to 350°F (170°C).
1. Bring the black-eyed peas to boil in a large pot of cold water. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. While the beans are simmering, saute the carrots and celery in about 1 tablespoons of olive oil until they begin to glisten and soften. Remove and set aside.
3. Place the beans, carrots, celery and rushed garlic cloves in a medium-size shallow baking pan, preferably ovenproof glass or ceramic.
4. Toss with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake, covered, for about 45 minutes.
5. About 10 minutes before removing from oven, toss in tomatoes.
6. Remove, let cool slightly and serve garnished with raw onions and seasoned with lemon juice.