Vassili' s Greek French Fries
If we had to choose a universal favorite dish, we think French fries would be the winner! Vassili's recipe, not only offers you advice on how to fry your French fries for an optimum result, but also has a Greek twist that makes them all the more enticing!
olive oil for frying
grated Kefalotyri greek cheese
absolutely NO lemon
- Peel and cut the potatoes into thick pieces, roughly the size of a woman's index finger. If you are making a big quantity put them in water so as not to turn black!
- Drain and blot the potato pieces dry.
- Heat about an inch of olive oil in a large heavy skillet and drop as many potatoes as will fit in one layer in the pan.
- Cover and sweat in the oil over low heat until the potatoes begin to turn golden.
- Remove the cover, raise the heat to high, and carefully turn the potatoes, preferably one piece at a time, continuously until they are a beautiful golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and continue the process with the rest until all the potatoes are fried. Make sure the temperature of the oil rises again, before adding the next batch.
- Serve sprinkled with salt, oregano and grated cheese.
- Do not squeeze lemon juice over them as this will soften the fries and all your careful work at the skillet will have gone to naught!