Sinful Amaretto Cheesecake
The only sinful thing about this cheesecake is its taste and the fact that it can be easily made the day before. Amaretto aids digestion and pleasantly cleans the palate. Serve it together with a strong espresso.
100g amaretti or digestive biscuits, crushed to crumbs
100 powdered white almonds
3 egg yolks
90g caster sugar
50ml Amaretto liqueur
200ml single cream
400g light cream cheese
4 gelatine sheets (5g)
chocolate shavings and roasted almond slivers
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
1. Melt the butter in a pan or in the microwave, mix it well with the powdered almonds and biscuits.
2. Line the bottom of an 18 cm loose-bottomed cake tin with greaseproof paper. Press the biscuit mixture well on the base and bake for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile soak the gelatine sheets in cold water according to the package instructions.
4. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, Amaretto and single cream over a bain marie until they start to thicken. Squeeze the gelatine sheets to dry them a bit and add into the hot mixture. Whisk well to dissolve and then place the hot bowl over cold water to bring the temperature down quickly.
5. When the mixture feels tepid, add the cream cheese. You might need to whisk it with the electric mixer in order to achieve a creamier texture.
6. Spoon the mixture on top of the biscuit base and smooth the top with the back of a dessert spoon or spatula. Cover and chill for at least two hours or overnight.
7. Serve with chocolate shavings and roasted almond slivers.