We would say without a doubt that pumpkin soup and its myriad of variations wins the soup competition! Make fresh crouton, and serve it on a cold winter evening. It just exudes the taste of home in every spoonful!
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ lbs pumpkin
1 small onion
1 medium potato
1 tsp curry powder
½ 1 tsp. cayenne
½ tsp coriander powder
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 cup beer
1 3/4 quarts or liters vegetable or chicken stock
½ cup heavy cream
1 tbsp butter
2 cups crumbled feta
Chop your vegetables however you like.
1. In a large stock pot sauté the onions and carrots in the olive oil until softened, about 10 minutes over a medium heat.
2. Add the pumpkin, potato and spices. Turn to coat. Pour in the beer and when it steams up, pour in the stock.
3. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. Strain the soup, keeping the liquid and vegetables separate.
4. Puré the vegetables and strain through a fine mesh sieve.
5. Put purée back into soup. Heat. Add ½ cup cream and 1 tablespoon butter. Adjust seasoning with curry, coriander, salt, and pepper.
6. Serve the soup with a tablespoon per bowl of crumbled feta.