Potato and olive stew in tomato sauce-Yahni patatoes with olives
A perfect dish for the lenten period or for any other occasion.
1/2 - 3/4 cup olive oil
2 pounds new potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 medium onions, thickly sliced
5-6 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 - 1 tsp minced fresh chili pepper, or 1/3 - 1/2 dry red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cups chopped fresh or good-quality canned tomatoes
1 cup small black olives, rinsed and pitted
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large, heavy, and deep non-reactive skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat and sauté the potatoes until they turn a golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. They don’t need to cook through because they will continue cooking in the sauce.
Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Remove the potatoes from the skillet and add the onions.
- Sauté until soft, about 10 minutes, then add the garlic and chili pepper.
- After a few seconds, pour in the wine and add the oregano, tomatoes, and olives. Cook for 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
- Place the potatoes in a clay or glass ovenproof pan that can hold them in 1 layer.
- Pour the sauce over them, and bake uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes adding a little water if needed or until the potatoes are tender.
- Taste after 15 minutes and add more salt if needed the olives are quite salty or more chili pepper.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve hot or at room temperature.