This classic Greek dish of baked pasta, minced meat and bechamel sauce is loved by all the family and a must in every Greek household.
500 gr thick macaroni
1 kg minced meat
180 g grated kefalo or Parmesan cheese
100 g oil or margarine
110 g of white wine
1 medium sized chopped onion
500 g ripe tomatoes
1 portion bechamel sauce
salt, white pepper
Preheat oven at 180 ° C.
- Chop onion
- Grate tomatoes
1. Partially cook the macaroni in salted water and drain well.
2. Put in a baking dish and pour half of the hot butter over the macaroni.
3. Beat the egg whites and mix in the macaroni. The yolks will be used to make the béchamel sauce.
4. Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
5. With the remaining butter brown the minced meat and the onion.
6. Add the wine, grated tomatoes or the tomatopaste, diluted in 1 cup of water, salt, pepper then simmer until liquid is absorbed.
7. Remove from the heat and add the remaining grated cheese. Stir all well.
8. Prepare the béchamel sauce.
9. Butter a baking dish.
10. Lay half of the macaroni in the pan.
11. Spread evenly with the meat mixture.
12. Lay the rest of the macaroni on top.
13. Pour the béchamel sauce over them and sprinkle with grated cheese and some melted butter.
14. Bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes until it turns a golden brown.