Morrocan Chickpea Lentil Soup
Soups are very common in North Africa despite the high temperatures; they are usuallly very filling! Serve it on a cold autumn evening for dinner with friends; sit outside, bowl in hand with roughly cut fresh bread to dip into it!
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1 medium chipotle pepper
2 stalks celery
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 1/3 cups lentils, rinsed
2 cans chickpeas
14 ounces stewed red ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
salt & pepper, to taste
- Chop the celery
- Slice the onion into brunoise
- Pass the garlic through a garlic press
- Make vegetable or chicken stock
1. Sauté onion, celery, garlic and pepper until softened.
2. Add cinnamon, ginger and turmeric. Stirring thoroughly add stock and lentils.
3. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover simmer 45 minutes.
4. Add chickpeas and tomatoes. Cook another 15 minutes.
5. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and salt and pepper. Serve immediately.