Lima Bean Croquettes
These bean patties are very easy to make, healthy (apart from the deep fried part) and great to serve as an appetizer with either ouzo or tsipouro!
- ½ kg/17.6 oz lima beans
- ½ kg/17.6 oz potatoes
- 2 spring onions,cutted in brunoise
- 1/2 bunch of parsley,coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh mint,coarsely chopped
- 2-4 eggs
- 2-4 cloves of garlic,minced
- 125 ml/0.26 pints olive oil
- oil for frying
- 2 pinches of ground cumin
- 4 pinches of ground coriander
- 2 pinches of ground nutmeg
- 4 pinches of black pepper
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
Boil and mash the potatoes and the lima beans.
Soften the onions and garlic in the oil.
Place them along with the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix into a firm paste.
If the mixture is too soft, add a little flour or dried biscuit.
Allow to sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Shape into small croquettes, flour and press down.
Fry in a hot pan.
The same recipe can be adapted for lentil, bean, broad bean and chick pea rissoles etc.
This selection of rissoles made from different types of pulses can be served with ouzo, tsipouro, raki or tsikoudia.