Lentil and Rice Dish (Mujaddarah)
Despite its simplicity this lebanese rice and lentil dish is delicious! A dish associated with the hearth, and the family!
1/4 cl olive oil
2 large onions
2 cup lentils
1 cup water
1 cup rice
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
a handful of cashews
salt to taste
- Chop 1 onion into brunoise and the other into half julienne.
- Roughly chop the cashews
- Wash the rice and lentils well. Soak rice while sautéing the onion
1. Heat oil. Sauté onions in brunoise until light brown. Set aside.
2. Sauté onions in julienne until golden brown.
3. Cook lentils in boiling water for 15-17 minutes; add rice and sautéed onions in brunoise, the cumin and salt. Cook on low heat until well done.
4. Before serving, heat remaining sautéed onions and pour over cooked lentil and rice.
5. Serve ganished with roughly chopped cashews and hot pickles.
* This preparation should have excess sauce.