Gavros (small fish, similar to anchovies)
Inexpensive and quite tasty these tiny fish are eaten whole with the bones.
1 kg gavros
1 tsp black pepper corns
Flour and salt
3 peeled tomatoes
½ can tomatoes
1 small sized onion
Salt and pepper
- Chop or grate the onion and tomatoes
1. Cut the fish heads, rinse in cold water and drain.
2. Flour the fish, salt and fry in hot oil.
3. Add the pepper corns.
4. Place the gavros in the Pyrex.
5. Prepare the tomato sauce.
6. Sautée the onion in oil and add the tomatoes and some water.
7. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and let boil for 40’.
8. Pour the sauce over the fried fish.