Fried Red Mullet over Fresh Pumpkin Salad
This recipe will surprise you because of two things:
1. The pumpkin is served raw but cut into spaghetti like pieces
2. The mullet has an original potato crust to it.
We hope you thoroughly enjoy it!
2.2 lbs (1 kg) red mullet fillets
3 large potatoes
80 gr cornflour
1 pinch sage
salt & pepper to taste
200 gr cleaned pumpkin flesh cut into a very thin julienne.
60 gr aged Cretan graviera cut into a very thin julienne.
1 red Florina pepper
1 bunch mint chopped
1 scallion chopped
80 gr olive oil plus more for frying
juice of 1 lemon
cumin to taste
1. Lightly fry the red pepper, peel it and chop it.
2. Toss the mint and the scallion together with the pumpkin, cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Peel and grate the potatoes on the coarse side of a hand grater. Mix together with cornflour, sage, salt and pepper, and press a small handful into the flesh side of each fish fillet until the potatoes adhere to the fish.
4. Lightly fry the fish fillet, potato side down first, until lightly browned. Turn to fry on the other side. Serve hot over the raw pumpkin salad.