Fresh Green Bean Salad with cilantro and almonds
This is a fantastic fresh salad! Serve it cold or slightly warmed; and, for those who hate coriander, use another strong tasting herb like spearmint.
500 g fresh green beans
2-3 tbs red wine vinegar
3-4 tbs extra-virgin Greek olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup cilantro
½ cup blanched almond slivers
Preheat oven at 180° C.
- Trim the top and bottom of the beans. Using a peeler remove the stringy fiber that runs along each seam. Diagonally cut in half.
- Coarsely chop cilantro.
1. . Place about 2 inches (approx. 6 cm) of water in a wide pot and bring to a boil.
2. Place the beans in a steaming basket and place over the water. Cover and steam for about 10-12 minutes, until the beans are tender but al dente (cooked but crunchy). Remove and place in a serving bowl.
3. Put the almonds in a small pan or in the oven and toast them until they get golden brown.
4. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
5. Toss the beans with the almonds, cilantro and dressing and serve either slightly warm or at room temperature.