Fava with Arugula and Goat's Cheese
Especially tasty this split pea puree goes particularly well with arugula and and creamy goat's cheese .
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion
1 1/2 cups yellow split peas, rinsed and drained
5-7 cups water
freshly grated black pepper, to taste
2-3 tbs fresh lemon juice
For the garnish
1 bunch arugula, trimmed, washed and torn
1 cup crumbled soft goats cheese or feta
olive oil and black pepper for garnish
- Finely chop onion
- Rinse and drain split peas
- Wash trim and tear arugula
- Crumble cheese
1. Heat one-third cup olive oil in a large pot.
2. Add the onion and cook until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the yellow split peas and toss to coat with the oil. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add enough water to cover split peas by 1 1/2 inches.
5. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, uncover, and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the split peas are completely disintegrated.
6. During the course of cooking, add water if necessary to keep the mixture from sticking.
7. When the split peas have reached the consistency of loose mashed potatoes, remove from heat and add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
8. Stir in the remaining olive oil vigorously, using a wire whisk. Cover with a cloth and let sit for one to two hours.
9. Spread the fava on a large platter and top with the arugula leaves and crumbled goat’s cheese.
10. Drizzle with olive oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve at room temperature.