Crepes with Orange Pudding and Fruit
These delicious sweet and tangy crepes are a wonderful treat for any time of the day.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2-2 1/2 cups water
4 tbs sugar
3/4 tsp salt
5 tsp baking powder
6 tbs vegetable oil
1 tube or envelope vanilla flavoring or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the orange pudding
2 1/2 cups orangeade (not carbonated)
1 envelope (6 1/2 tablespoons) orange flavored cornstarch (or regular cornstarch with 1 tsp orange extract)
3 tbs sugar
1 small can fruit cocktail or any other fruit desired
1/2 cup confectioners sugar for topping
grated orange peel
1. Mix flour with water, sugar, salt, baking powder, vegetable oil and vanilla to form a thin batter. Can also be combined in a blender.
2. Heat 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil in small frying pan, or use a non-stick pan and omit oil.
3. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into frying pan and tilt pan so that carefully turn over with spatula to brown on other side.
4. Remove to platter and continue process until batter is used up. Be sure to pour 1 teaspoon of oil in pan each time if not using a non-stick pan.
5. Heat 1 1/2 cups of the orangeade and sugar in small pot.
6. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining orangeade and stir into first mixture when heated.
7. Stir constantly to prevent lumpiness. When mixture becomes thick and creamy remove from heat and cool.
8. Stir once in a while to prevent crust from forming on top of pudding.
9. Drain canned fruit well. Chop into small pieces.
10. Take each crepe and spread with 1-2 tablespoons of pudding and 1 teaspoon of fruit.
11. Roll and place side by side in platter.
12. When completely cooled sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and grated orange peel.