Cream of Carrot Soup (Crema de Zanahorias)
If a cream of carrot soup is made well, using good quality ingredients, it is aromatic, sweet, and filling. The texture of this creamed vegetable soup varies according to the cook; some like their soups closer to purée and others like them more watery!
6 cups water
1 1/4 lb (about 5-6) carrots
2 ripe tomatoes
1 heaped tsp cornstarch/corn flour
½ cup natural yogurt
3 tbsp olive oil
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 chicken stock cube
seasoning to taste
4 sprigs parsley
- Peel and chop the carrots, potatoes, onions and tomatoes however you like as long as they are all nearly the same size
- Finely chop the parsley and make lemon rind for garnish (do this while rest are cooking)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion until soft.
2. Add the chopped carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, water, stock cube and seasoning. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer until the vegetables are cooked—about 25 minutes.
3. In the meantime, mix the cornstarch with a little water to make a smooth, liquid paste.
4. Put the yogurt into a small pan and mix in the cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stir constantly and allow to cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the yogurt to the vegetables and mix well.
6. Process in batches and then reheat just before serving.
7. Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon rind.