Chicken Stewed with Apples
A light and sweet tasting stew, yet very filling, this is the perfect meal for a cool autumn night!
1 medium chicken, about 1½ kg
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ tsp cinnamon
5-6 allspice berries
4-5 whole cloves
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
5 green, tart apples
- Peel, core and slice the apples thick
- Coarsely chop onions
1. Cut the chicken in to six pieces; rinse and drain.
2. In a Dutch oven or deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of butter and brown the onions.
3. Add the chicken and brown.
4. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Add 1 cup of water, cover the pot, and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add the remaining spices, sugar, and lemon juice. Cover and simmer another 30 minutes.
6. Sauté apples in the remaining butter and add to the meat mixture.
7. Cover and simmer 5-8 minutes, until the apples are tender but not mushy.
8. Adjust seasoning and serve hot.