Beef in Onion Sauce (Govedina s lukom)
Caramelized onions always add flavour to a dish and the use of tomato and wine further enhance the sweetness of the onion! Serve this Croatian recipe over a bed of plain rice with a crisp green salad. Cut some fresh bread to scoop up all the sauce at the end!
½ cup cooking oil
2 lbs beef round steaks
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 ½ tbsp tomato paste
2 cups soup stock
4 cups white wine
pepper to taste
½ tsp sugar
juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp chopped parsley
onion slices for garnish (optional)
- Mince the onion
1. Heat the cooking oil in a skillet on high heat. Pound the steaks with a mallet to tenderise them further, season with salt and then sear them.
2. Remove the steaks and set aside. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the onions to the same skillet, alittle salt and caramelize them.
3. When the onion is golden brown, sprinkle the flour over the top, add the tomato paste, stock and wine. Stir frequently until the sauce comes to a boil.
4. Now add the meat to the sauce and simmer until the meat is tender. When the meat is done, remove it to a serving platter.
5. Strain the sauce, reserving the liquid.
6. Place the onions in a small bowl and begin to add the liquid back into the onions in small amounts, stirring after each addition until a desired consistency is reached. Season the sauce with pepper, sugar and lemon juice.
7. Pour sauce the over the steaks. Garnish with chopped parsley and fresh onion slices.
* This recipe can be made the day before up to the point where the meat has simmered in the sauce. Just refrigerate it and heat up slowly the next day to continue the recipe.
* After searing the meat, reduce the oil by half.