Making things from scratch is a feature of the Mediterranean way of life and brings you much closer to what you eat. Here is a recipe on how to make your own Pastrami!
2 lbs filet or best cut of beef
1 cup salt
3-4 garlic heads
1 cup fenugreek
2 tbsp hot chili pepper
1. Trim the meat to remove any fat. Dry well, then score very thinly in 2 or 3 places.
2. Roll the meat in ¼ cup salt to cover it completely. Spread it out on a rack, weighing it down to drain the moisture.
3. After 3-4 days, remove the weight and wipe the meat dry. Thread a cord through one end, leaving a long piece to suspend it when it is ready.
4. Peel and crush garlic and knead with fenugreek, pepper, and remaining salt. The mixture must be soft. Cover the meat another 3-4 days, until it dried well.
5. The pastrami is now ready. Its shape will vary according to the cut of meat and the weight placed upon it, but it is usually a rough spherical shape and its color is dark brown.