Baked Lamb and Bulghur Pie (Kibbeh Pie)
This is a traditional Lebanese dish that people often make to take with them on trips. Bulgur wheat mixed with minced meat was originally used as a means to stretch meager resources to feed more members of the family. Keep in mind that this is a quick version of Kibbeh Pie, and that you may find more complicated versions!
2 lb of finely ground lamb
1/2 cup of bulghur wheat
2 large onion
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
about 1 tbsp olive oil
black pepper to taste
sumac to taste
- Soak bulghur wheat for at least 40 minutes and drain well.
- Finely grate the onion
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan until they turn golden brown
Preheat oven to 350°F
1. Mix everything except the nuts.
2. Lay half of meat mixture in 9 x 13 dish and top with half the nuts. Add remaining meat. Drizzle olive oil the top and sprinkle with lots of black pepper and a little sumac.
3. Allow to sit in the ridge for a while.
4. Bake for 1 hour.
5. Once meat is cooked through, remove from oven and let cool.
6. Cut in diamond shapes and scoop out of the baking pan. Place the pieces on a plate with lemon.