Baked Giant Beans (Plaki)
This classic Greek vegan dish is not only nutritiousand full of protein but also wonderfully satisfying
500g of beans, the very big ones
3 garlic cloves
1 cup of olive oil
2 tbsps of concentrated tomato pulp and some fresh or canned tomato
3 sprigs of celery
half a small bunch of parsley
2-3 medium size carrots
salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne powder and some thyme
Preheat oven at 200° C.
- Mince onion and garlic
- Finely chop parsley
- Dice fresh tomato
- Cut carrots in round slices or dice
1. Soak the beans in water overnight.
2. Next day, boil them in a pot until half-cooked: then drain them.
3. In another pot saute the minced onion and garlic with the oil and add the celery, the parsley, the carrots, and the tomato and tomato concentrate diluted in water, salt, thyme, cayenne and pepper.
4. When all this comes to a boil put the beans in an oven dish with the sliced tomatoes, the sauce on the top and some olive oil, bake till ready. Eat hot or cold.