Bacon and Cheese Serbian Corn Bread (Proja s slaninom)
We have already given you a plain recipe for Serbian corn bread, now here's a variation that illustrates how to move away from the classic recipe to make corn bread just how you like it; starting from bacon and cheese. Make sure to serve it warm, to accompany a meal or with a platter of cold cuts and a selection of cheeses.
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1 ½ tbsp (1 ½ packets) dry yeast
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup sour milk
1 tbsp salt
1 cup cooked crumbled bacon
½ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 200°C.
1. In a small bowl mix the sugar with the warm water, add the yeast and allow it to rise in a warm place until you see bubbles on the surface, about 20 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, eggs, cooking oil, sour milk and salt. Fold over once, then add the yeast. Work until it has come together enough to transfer in a whole
3. Turn onto floured board and knead till smooth. Cover and let rise, about 1 hour.
4. After it has risen, punch down and add the bacon and cheese if desired. Mix well.
5. Place the dough on a greased and floured 9 X 11 inch baking dish. Allow the dough to rise again for about 20 minutes.
6. Bake for about 1 hour. Let cool slightly, and cut in squares to serve.
* If you can't find sour milk, you can make your own by adding 1 tsp vinegar to 1 cup of milk and let stand for 5 minutes.