This is an Algerian take on the traditional French Charlotte; creamy and aromatic this dessert is easy to make and highly enjoyable!
1 cup dates
juice of 1 orange
1 1/2 cup water
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp gelatin
2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 tbsp sliced almonds
2 chopped dates
grated peel of 1/2 orange
- Remove the pits from the dates. Cut them into quarters and set aside.
- Squeeze the orange juice
1. Put the orange juice into a saucepan and add the water and honey. Sprinkle the gelatin onto the mixture. When it dissolves, stir briefly and add the quartered dates.
2. Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Cool. Strain the mixture and reserve the liquid.
3. Whip the cream until it stand in peaks. Add the almonds to the date liquid and gently fold into the cream.
4. Spoon into a two-quart serving dish. Decorate the charlotte with the sliced almonds, chopped dates and grated orange peel.
5. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 or more hours before serving.