Nut and Spice Rolls with Syrup
These sweet and nutty spice rolls are a perfect accompaniment to your afternoon coffee or tea.
- 1/2 cup (75 g.) sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup (75 g.) almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup (75 g.) walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup (75 g.) hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup (75 g.) dried figs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (75 g.) dates or raisins, finely chopped
- 2 tsp powdered cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 kg phyllo pastry
- melted butter
- 20 cloves
- honey syrup
Preheat oven at 190° C.
Roast the sesame seeds in a frying pan until light brown and then put then in a mixing bowl.
Add the nuts, figs, dates (or raisins), cinnamon, and sugar and mix well.
Cut the phyllo sheets in quarters.
Brush each piece with melted butter and place a heaping tablespoon of the nut mixture at one end.
Fold the edges inward and roll up.
Brush the roll with melted butter and place on a greased baking sheet.
Repeat with the rest of the pastry.
Set a clove in the center of each roll.
Bake for about 20 minutes.
Wait until the rolls have cooled before pouring the honey syrup over them.