Cranberry Bean Stew with Potatoes, Peppers and Sausage-Fasolia Handres me Patates, Piperies ke Loukaniko
Before even tasting this dish the title awakens the appetite. It is rustic, it is filling and healthy;
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberry beans (1/2 lb), soaked overnight and drained
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cutted in 1/2 inch strips
- 1 sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 thyme sprigs
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cutted in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
Prepare the sausage by removing the casing.
In a large saucepan, cover the beans with 3 inches of cold water and bring to a boil.
Cook over moderate heat until the beans are barely tender, about 30 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
Add the onion and bell pepper and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes.
Add the sausage and cook for 4 minutes, crumbling it with a spoon.
Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, thyme and crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper.
Cover partially and simmer over moderate heat until the beans are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the potatoes, cover partially and cook until tender, about 15 minutes longer.
Stir in the parsley, if you like, and serve.