Basic Tomato Sauce
This sauce freezes well, and I usually have some in my freezer in case I decide to make a quick pasta dish.
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup finely chopped red onions
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup sweet wine, such as Mavrodaphne or sweet Marsala
1/2-1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 1/2 cups grated ripe tomatoes (about 11/2 pounds) or one 16-ounce can diced tomatoes with their juice
1 cinnamon stick
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the onions over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until glossy.
- Add the wine and pepper and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the grated tomatoes, cinnamon stick, salt and about 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and discard the cinnamon stick.
- The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.