1 lb dried broad beans
2 large onions
1 tsp cumin powder
10-15 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 bunch of parsley
salt & pepper
(a) soak the beans in an earthenware or glass container for 4-6 days, rinsing and changing the water every 12 hours.
(b) soak the beans for 24 hours, then rinse, drain, and cover the beans with a wet cloth, repeating this procedure for 4-6 days,
1. Place the beans in a pot with the onions, cover with water and boil for 20-30 minutes.
2. Add cumin, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and lemon juice and boil for another 5-7 minutes.
3. To test if cooked, squeeze bean between thumb and finger. If the skin comes off easily, the beans are ready.
4. Remove from heat and spoon into glass or ceramic container together with the liquid. Let cool, then add chopped parsley.
5. To serve, drain and serve the juice in small cups (optional). It is customary to eat the beans without their outside covering-bite on the bean, press into mouth, and discard the skin.