1/2 envelope active dry yeast
1/2 cup milk, lukewarm
2 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten well
125 gr bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 tbsp very strong black coffee
1/4 cup seedless raisins
1 tbsp butter, melted
Preheat oven to 180°C
1. Dissolve the yeast in 1 tbsp of the milk and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl sift 1/2 cup of the flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar and the salt. Stir in the remaining milk, add the yeast mixture and mix well. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
3. Cream together the butter and remaining sugar and add this to the dough mixture. Blend in the eggs.
4. Sift in the remaining flour and mix until smooth, adding flour if necessary to ensure a smooth, pliable mixture.
5. In the top of a double boiler melt the chocolate and then stir in the coffee and raisins.
6. On a lightly floured board spread the dough and coat with the chocolate mixture.
7. Roll the dough over until a multi-layered roll has been formed. Place the roll in a well-greased baking pan, cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until the volume is doubled.
8. Brush the top with the melted butter and bake in a medium oven for 40 minutes.