400 g of baklava pastry
½ cup of melted butter for brushing the pastry
1 small cup of sugar
3 small cups of ground almonds, with skin
1 small cup of crumbed rusk
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
½ tsp of baking powder
1 large cup of brandy
For the syrup
2 ½ small cups of water
1 cup of sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp of lemon juice
2-3 pieces of lemon peel
Preheat oven at 180° C.
1. Beat the egg yolks with 1 small cup of sugar.
2. Add the rusk, baking powder, ground almond, ground cinnamon, brandy and the egg whites beaten until stiff.
3. Grease a baking tin (No 30) with butter.
4. Layer 8 pastry sheets on the bottom, brushing melted butter on each.
5. Pour in the filling and cover with another 6 sheets of pastry, brushing each one with melted butter.
6. Cut the sweet into pieces and bake in a medium, pre-heated oven for half an hour.